Pages

Friday 25 April 2014

24 Hour Readathon Countdown



Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon is quickly becoming the one event I try to do my best to participate in every year. ... Along with Eurovision. Hm...

I tend to have at least as much fun selecting my reads for the occasion, as I do challenging myself to read, read, read. So, without further ado, here's my line-up for April 2014!

Fiction


1. Catherynne M. Valente, The Bread We Eat in Dreams, a short story
This one was my TBR list since forever. Which is silly, because Valente is brilliant.

2. Gabriel García Márquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude, a novel
I picked this novel for my Readathon before the sad news earlier this month. Every Readathon I want to attempt to start and finish a normal length novel, and this is my choice for April 2014. This is also a title which will count towards the TBR Pile Challenge, so win-win.

3. Greg Keys, The Briar King, a novel
A longish (500 pages+) epic fantasy, which should be an easy and not very challenging read. I picked it as the main Readathon novel alternative, in case I discover that I just can't get on with Márquez. Also counts towards the TBR Pile challenge.

4. Michele Desbordes, The House in the Forest, a novel
I know almost nothing about this book, apart from it being a short novel (186 pages) with dreamlike poetic prose and some rubbish reviews on Amazon. This was an impulse purchase from a few years' back. Now it is time for it to sink or swim.


Non-Fiction


5. Ian Stewart, Letters to a Young Mathematician
6. Alex Bentley at all, I'll Have What She's Having. Mapping Social Behavior 
7. Pierre Ostrowski & Gwen Penner, It's All Chinese to Me. An Overview of Culture and Etiquette in China
8. Rosalind Ashe and Lisa Tuttle, Children's Literary Houses
9. R. Hamilton, Ancient Egypt. Kingdon of the Pharaohs (want to read through it before I start unpicking it for pictures).

Essential Snacks



No comments:

Post a Comment